Asset Management Plan Development
It’s one thing to have a strategy for your assets. But unless it’s translated into action – directly affecting what your maintainers do every day – then you’re never going to get more from your assets. And for that, you need an effective asset management plan.
At Bluefield, we frequently work with sites who find themselves facing one of more of the following problems:
- Limited understanding of the asset’s target life or operating limits;
- Maintenance tasks that either don’t align with the agreed strategy, or are difficult and costly to execute;
- Maintenance tasks that don’t align with the shutdown or service intervals;
- Limited understanding of the life cycle cost and resource requirements for their assets, including the trades, spares and associated tooling to perform the maintenance tasks; or
- Poor budgeting of both operating and sustaining capital costs.
These problems frequently result in an operation running well above its ideal cost profile, leaving critical assets stranded with no spare parts to fix them, and frustrated personnel not having clear direction on their daily tasks. However, these problems aren’t insurmountable.
An asset management plan doesn’t guarantee success on its own, but it must be considered as the starting point for any maintenance team when it comes to having control of their asset risks, maintenance strategies, and costs. Knowing the operational context, filtered through the risks associated to the level of utilisation of the machinery in place and the frequency of maintenance work that is needed to keep them running, will turn the day to day of a maintenance team into a more manageable one.
The benefits of having a defined Asset Management Plan can be seen in:
- Better time, resources and cost management
- Better equipment utilisation and availability, together with less unexpected downtime
- Better relationship with the supply team and procurement
- Less effort from maintenance planners and scheduler put towards the weekly plan
- Better relationship with operations and engineering.
Bluefield specialises in helping translate their asset strategies into workable, efficient asset management plans. We aim to achieve three things with these plans. First, consolidate all the asset’s critical information into a single reference that makes it easy to communicate and understand what’s required. Second, carry out the modelling and optimisation work to make sure the right costs and resources are defined and available. Third – and most important of all – we make sure these requirements are built into your maintenance systems to ensure you can effectively budget for, plan, and schedule your work.
Based on the extensive industry experience of our asset management specialists, Bluefield has built a series of templates and analytical tools that make it quick and easy to consolidate information, prepare your asset management plans, and upload them to your systems. We’re happy to work with you to understand your requirements and adapt our approach as needed to ensure you’re getting more from your assets. We can also help with the on-the-ground legwork to find and update your critical information, such as long-lost manuals, spare parts, and design drawings.