Project Management Training
At Bluefield, we’ve defined a simple but critical approach to managing projects:
“Plan the details, plan the details, plan the details…and protect the plan!
Such an approach is easier said than done. We know that it’s common for maintenance or capital project teams, seeking to expedite their project, to skip over the early project phases and move straight into the detailed planning and execution. They then scratch their heads when the inevitable scope changes, budget blowouts, schedule overruns or safety incidents happen.
Having the right people - skilled, qualified and inducted with site access - at the right place, at the right time, performing the right tasks with the right parts, tools and equipment, doesn’t just happen. We’ve learned that once the execution phase of a project begins, the team’s ability to make major changes to the scope, design or schedule in a controlled fashion is limited. You’re at the mercy of the planning you’ve already completed.
Traditionally, when people think of project management training, they think about learning how to produce project schedules through Gant charts, use estimation tools to develop budgets, or navigate a stage-gated process through to the end. But in Bluefield’s experience, that’s only part of the story.
Through experience, Bluefield understands the unique challenges of managing capital projects and shutdowns in mining and other asset-intensive industries. We place a major emphasis on comprehensive planning and front-end loading, and then protecting the plan through detailed potential problem analysis and risk mitigation techniques. As our approach states - the devil is in the detail, so planning the details includes people, systems and assets, with contingency designed against all areas of risk or concern.
What we offer
Bluefield offers training, coaching and mentoring to project managers on the definition, planning, execution and completion of projects. We have extensive and diverse experience that covers shutdowns, capital projects, fleet relocations and organisational change projects of all sizes. Importantly, we emphasise the role of coaching in building skills through learning from experience and reflection.
Our training can be delivered on a stand-alone basis, or delivered alongside our project readiness assessment and project management process improvement offerings. If required, the Bluefield team can support you to determine your current learning and project management needs at all levels of the organisation. We can also review your current project management strategies to ensure best practice and alignment with your organisation’s needs.
How we deliver
Some project management training focuses on filling out templates and following checklists. At Bluefield, we focus on producing results. The Bluefield-facilitated Kepner Tregoe (KT) Project Management workshop equips project professionals with a robust, proven project management methodology combined with the KT Clear Thinking skills needed to deliver real, measurable project results. This workshop prepares project team members to take on any size project and confidently see it through to success.
- Learn KT’s proven project management methodology for use on any type of project in the mining industry delivered by experienced mining professionals.
- Develop robust project management skills that are essential to achieve project goals on time and on budget.
- Go beyond basic theory and apply project management concepts and tools to actual, real-life projects for immediate results.
- Supports the Project Management Institute’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)
Skills developed during the KT Project Management workshop enable you to:
- Carry out the essential elements of project management - defining, planning, implementing and closing out a project - to achieve the desired project outcome.
- Lead and motivate a project team and communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
- Identify and address issues quickly and confidently to keep projects on track.
- Anticipate and reduce project risk.
- Improve how future projects are delivered.